Tuesday, 16 May 2017

You might be gurning and lumpen, but I still love you!

It transpired my cunning plan to use five, near-identical Oldhammer Scouts wasn't so sensible after all. A recent game of Shadow War: Armageddon mainly consisted of me trying to remember which Scout was which, and who was armed with what. This is neither fun, nor fair on your opponent. I needed something more WYSIWYG. And hence the two guys below.






These are from the plastic sprue released with Advanced Space Crusade. Admittedly they hail from the era of gurning, lumpen plastic miniatures, but I love them all the same. While they don't have the dynamism of their metal counterparts, they do have a kind of solid charm. Plus you really can't miss that MASSIVE gun and bright yellow chainsword, which helps with my 10th Company's identity crisis.

The eagle eyed nerds among you will notice that the Sergeant's pauldrons are rather mis-matched. After Rogue Trader there were several revisions to the Codex scheme of Space Marine iconography and livery. When these Scouts were released this IP was entering its current incarnation but still bedding in, as you can see in this scan below:


What I love about this cra-zy era is the liberal incorporation of  heraldry. I took the the Dave Gallagher White Dwarf cover and 'Eavy Metal miniature below as reference points.




I'm not sure what I'll be painting next for my Blood Angels. Perhaps a Primaris? ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE that white dwarf cover. Made the Scouts seem far more savage than the fluff ever made them out to be.

    Great work on the ugly old sculpts. I couldn't stomach the thought of trying to repaint my old teenage efforts so I sold mine a while back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Yep - it's an oldie but a goldie! If you ever want to get some plastic Scouts and repaint them do have a go as they're good fun.

      Delete
  2. They may be gurning and lumpen, but they do have their charm. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks 2501. I've just played a game with them this evening, and they performed quite well! Battle report soon.

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to it! I'm getting ready to work on the contents of the Shadow Wars Armageddon box, so I'll post those as I make progress on them.

      Delete