Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Synskin Shinobi

If men in flak vests or giants in gaudy Power Armour rock up, you can be certain you've annoyed the Emperor. But whem men in black, skin-tight rubber suits arrive, you know the Man Upstairs is properly miffed.

I wanted to intimidate my opponents more and the recent Made to Order Assassin was an ideal choice. As with all Jes Goodwin's sculpts, he was a joy to paint. Plus he reminds me of Joe Musashi, the hero from the Shiobi series of video games.

I've seen some lovely alternative colours for Assassins, but I chose to stick to the traditional black as an homage to Rogue Trader IP. I used the same technique as I employed on my Death Company - paint black over metal, zenith spray grey, then dump a wash of black ink mixed with black paint over the top. The wash settles in the recesses and knocks the grey back, just leaving it on the raised surfaces, to which you add a few highlights. Boom. There is a vent on top of his backpack which you can just see in the boxout. I highlighted this up with blues and that worked well to separate the element from the rest of the zentai suit (sorry - "synskin").


I also got both the Inquisitor and Demonhunter in Terminator armour to swell the ranks of my retro-clone Imperial agents. They are nowhere near the front of my painting queue, but shuffling around at the back, trying not to stand out while noting down people's names and nodding in a totally un-threatening manner.

8 comments:

  1. I've always loved that assassin model and the mentioned Inquisitor models. I wonder if you're going to include the Arbitrators and the Imperial Pskyer miniatures in your collection too? :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gretchin. I'd love to, but would need to acquire them first. I do have an old Confrontation Brat ganger which might do though. Get in the queue...

      Delete
    2. Well, I will keep my ear to the ground and if they crop up, I will let you know! ^^

      Delete
  2. That looks really good. The simple paint scheme suits the model. I find black very difficult to paint so I might give your technique a try. It clearly gives good results. I've never noticed that model's backpack before - or his flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super-simple Toby so do try it. He wears flip flops because he's a double-hard so-and-so.

      Delete
    2. If you're running around the grim darkness of the far future in a pair of beach shoes and you're not dead yet, you're obviously hard as nails. I'll give it a go (the painting technique, not the running around).

      Delete
  3. You make the paint job seem so simple... I have my doubts, but I will have to give it a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try is Lasgun as it's not too intensive and gives a great result very quickly.

      Delete