Sunday, 23 April 2017

Woad Kill

An admirably muscled Slaughterpriest stumbled into my clutches recently and inspiration hit. I had been looking at some old Bisley art and was reminded of his amazing colour palette. While there are some aspects of his work I'm not so keen on, Bisley's portrait of Slaine is just awesome. I also love his cover for The Bitmap Brothers' Gods, which again uses the same blues and oranges that vibrate against each other. At the same time I've been reading a bit about the Dying Earth genre with its post-apocalyptic-meets-fantasy vibe. All this went into the mental soup.

I figured this guy might be a wanderer in Aqshy, the Realm of Fire. His native land is a vast, dried sea that the flames of Aqshy have evaporated, leaving the denizens to walk the cracked crust of what was the sea floor. If you look closely you can just make out a few shells I've worked into his base. I unashamedly stole the technique for using them from the amazing Don Hans. The shells were kindly donated by the awesome Julian Bayliss, whose work you can see of Ex Profundis (IMHO one of the best hobby blogs around at the moment).

I chopped the Slaughterpriest up a bit and gave him some Seraphon bits. I love the primitive-but-ornate feeling that these items conjure. They give the exact post-apocalyptic, desert raider vibe I wanted. He's at the wash stage at the moment and will get brighter with subsequentl stages. I think he needs a bit more variety in his colours though. I'm might try some gold on his weapon, plus he'll get azure-blue woad daubings too. I might end up calling him the Max the Woad Warrior.

Sorry, I'll stop with the puns now.



4 comments:

  1. Heh, Woad Warrior. Nice.

    The sort of yellowy tan skin color is pretty interesting, and should help him stand out a bit from the usual pinkish undertone muscle dudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lasgun! Love that you're exploring the Silver Tower too.

      Delete
  2. I just recently started to purchase the Slaine graphic novels, re-living the comic books I loved in my youth.

    And with it poring over the art of Simon Bisley and Clint Langley. Wonderful stuff.

    I think your Woad Warrior is looking nice, lovely colours. Can't wait to see it complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Stygian. He's coming along nicely and I should be able to post him maybe early next week.

      Delete