Sunday, 9 April 2017

Hang on to your biomass - an Eldar VS Tyranids battle report

Posting has been a bit slow of late due to Life getting in the way. But at least the planet hasn't been consumed by a star-faring race of biomass guzzlers. On that note, I played a game of 40K yesterday against my long-term opponent and his Tyranids.

I brought my Rogue Trader-inspired Eldar to the party. It turned out we had both inadvertently dressed to match our factions. I wore a mustard yellow top, and Mr T had a shirt and jeans that matched Hive Fleet Behemoth. I am going to make sure this is a new rule that goes into the next edition of 40k.


We opted to play along the length of the table and, with a swish of their skirts, my space elves eased their crinoline into various ruins. Space elves in the open don't last long. My Hemlock Wraithfighter was so cunningly camouflaged you could hardly see it against the grass it hovered over.


Mr T's bugs thought they had been invited to a game of British Bull Dog. They lined up appropriately, ready to dash headlong into the fun that is Eldar munitions.


The game started off pretty badly for me. In true British fashion I blamed the dice, declared that I was underpowered and it was totally not fair. As the game wore on I decided to actually read the rules for my units. I discovered they can do all sorts of nasty things. At which point the tide turned and some of the chitinous beasties succumbed. This didn't stop Mr T's Termagants sweeping, Gallimimus-like, around the objective. Damn.


Gradually a combination of firepower and psychics whittled down the Tyranids. We each lost our warlords. Both our armies looked on in horror as their leaders were hacked down, then shrugged, carried on, and wondered why they took orders from those jerks anyway.


My Warlocks eventually got fed up of the Carnifex who kept rolling around like a puppy in your laundry. They whipped out their witchblades and Magic Dave the Warlock took him down. And everyone cheered.

This was the state of play at the end of the game. Mr T claimed the objective (darn!) but there were plenty of space elves left to boo at the Termagants. Props if you can spot the Hemlock. Very few people can.

All told this was a great game and we're both inspired to paint more. I had finished another five Dire Avengers beforehand and will post photos of them soon. I also realised I'd never shot my Warlocks, so I'll take some snaps of them at the same time. I think I might paint another squad of Rogue Trader Harlequins soon as well so they can become a playable force on their own. Looted Imperial Robots anyone?

9 comments:

  1. I'd love to get around to building up a little rogue trader inspired Ork army (like the one I had way back when I first started collecting). The only real issue being the differences in stature between the old and new versions of Orks, so the older units that I love would look rather odd next to the newer units.

    Might give it a go anyway and see what happens.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Promise to give me a game in a few years once it's all done? ^^

      Delete
    2. Yes, if you promise to let me win.

      Delete
    3. That'll probably happen anyway; I'm not very tactical! :p

      Delete
  2. That's definitely one of the most entertaining battle reports I've read. Maybe, without their warlords bossing them around, they'll all just become friends. Or maybe not.

    I like the paint scheme on the eldar. The combination of the newer models and the yellow hats works really well. You could continue the Rogue Trader feel with the looted robots, too (and paint stars and stripes on their heads, MK13 style).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toby. A M.A.R.K. 13 scheme is definitely needed I feel!

      Delete
    2. Time to put on the Ministry and get welding! The big Mechanicus robots could work well - they've got a retro, Fallout feel already that makes me think of Rogue Trader. Or you could scratch-build them. Hmm. I might try something like that...

      Delete
  3. Don't forget to include a looted Harlequin Land Raider too! I always thought they looked dead cool in the diamond paintjobs, etc back in RT days.

    Entertaining batrep and nice to see you gaming too.

    ReplyDelete