Monday, 17 April 2017

Don't get overly-familiar


The Familiars are some of my favourite miniatures from GW's 2016 Silver Tower boxed set. The high-fantasy world of Age of Sigmar gets even more trippy when Tzeentch, the nefarious Lord of Change gets involved. Magical familiars are not merely cats called Tom, but walking books... with tails.

These miniatures are an homage to some of Citadel's oldest and most beloved scultps from the late 80s, rendered in 21st century style with cutting-edge technology. I was kindly gifted a set and they were tremendous fun to paint. They are also rare examples of modern single-piece plastics, but are no less dynamic for that.

These are some of the last I did in the 'grey' style that I had been experimenting with. While it's been fun I have eventually found the tight palette too restrictive so have moved on to more colourful things. I am very much into miniatures functioning as miniatures. I like mine to be be recognisable and intelligible from a reasonable distance and this style lacks the contrast necessary to do that.

Enjoy! And did it take you as long as it did for me to notice that the walking fish is in the shape of Tzeentch's icon? Genius!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work! They are my favorite models from Silver Tower, and these are some of the best I've seen. Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the grey and yellow colour combination. They are wonderful!

    I have had my eyes on Silver Tower for some time now. Getting closer and closer :)

    ReplyDelete