Thursday, 19 January 2017

Epic Heresy-era Imperial Fists

I was super excited when it was announced that Adeptus Titanicus would be returning. Some friends and I decided to have a game of Epic Armageddon and I put together a small force of Imperial Fists for this purpose.

There's been a small but lively epic scale scene doing cool stuff ever since the game was published and one of the things that excited me about this small project was making the individual units more dynamic. To this end I copied some of the best examples out there by landscaping the bases. This works really well for the troops in particular and I was pleased with how the little vignettes turned out. I have also seen some utterly gorgeous examples of epic scale weathering and, part of the reason I chose Fists, was to enable the chipping to pop. I was pretty satisfied with the results, although I'm not sure how well it works on the dreadnoughts.

I made custom decals for the markings and banners. I really love banners for epic scale as they not only aid gameplay but they seem to capture the ostentatious nature of the Marines. The dinky little battlefield role icons on the vehicle also help to give them scale.

I'm not planning to add to much to the infantry, but I would like to paint up a maniple of titans at some point to support these guys. I am thinking Legio Gryphonicus (because: yellow) but I also love the use of the WWI German lozenge camo on some of the very early published titans so I might incorporate that.





9 comments:

  1. Great stuff. One hopes that Epic will make a comeback (as a GW game) since it is perfect for larger actions and giant vehicles in a way that 40k really is not.

    And lozenge camo would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Lasgun. Yes, I am totally in love with lozenge camo but the though of painting it 'does me a frighten'. I know that aircraft modellers actually use massive decal sheets for WWI kits, but the planes have flat surfaces so that's do-able. Titans; not so much. :-0

      Delete
    2. Masks and airbrush? Should be merely hard, not impossible to do it that way.

      Delete
    3. Good call. That may be a way forward!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kym! They were great fun to do and I think some titans would really add to the collection.

      Delete
  3. Coincidentally, I've been busy lately stripping back my (very) old Space Marine and Ork epic armies (with Dettol, which works really well) and getting them ready for a fresh new coat of paint. and some games of 3rd edition Epic 40,000. I've been agonising over what colour to paint the marines, and also how to do the basing. I'm thinking traditional Ultramarines at this stage, if only to go 'classic'.

    The way you've based the vehicles is inspiring though; I never would have thought of basing them at all, but the way the rhinos and land raiders are angled on the rough terrain is fantastic.

    Argh! Yesterday afternoon was spent carefully basing some dreadnoughts and land speeders, but now you've got me rethinking the whole thing! The only change I'd like to make to that is to use thinner plasticard, and probably square shapes to match the infantry stands.

    That of course has been the other agonising decision - square or rectangular bases? I'm going for rectangular for the way they rank up into strong lines across the table. Love that big banner too.

    What did you use for the basing material for these Tam Tam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and two other things – where did you get that banner, and how did you make the custom decals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! I have seen some great rectangular bases for Epic vehicles to they'd definitely be an option for you.

      I built up the bases with any old detritus, then coated it in thinned polyfilla (wall filler). While the filler is wet, I splodge on some powerdered plaster of paris to add a bit of texture here and there.

      The banner is one of the back banners from the standard Tactical Marine kit. They are the perfect size and have the awesome banner-tops too.

      For custom decals you need to buy decal paper sheets and have access to a laser printer (not an inkjet - the ink needs to be burned into the paper). The process of printing them is no different than printing any other bit of paper, but of course you need to get your designs ready and laid out. Home-print decal paper like this is rather more stiff than commercial decals you get in kits, so you'll need to use a lot of softeners to get them to bend to irregular surfaces.

      Looking forward to seeing what you do!

      Delete