Saturday, 24 December 2016

2017... now in colour!

As 2016 draws to a close there are no doubt many people drawing a sigh of relief and hoping that '17 will be... well, just better. For my part I'm planning some big changes but I'll talk more about the if and when they happen. You're going to see a bit more about video games on this blog too.

In other news, those of you who remember my 'Blanchitsu' miniatures work will recall that most of it was decked out in vibrant and cheerful shades of black. The [Black:Clad] phase, as I've dubbed it, I think is over now. It's been a great aesthetic to explore but I'm feel like I'm done with it for the time being. I'm bouncing to the other end of the spectrum (no pun intended) and am more interested in saturation - the kind of colour combos that were popular in the '70s. Examples I'm drawn to are the work of Roger Dean, the films of Dario Argento and the graphic covers of non-fiction books of the day. On a tangential, but related note, there's a vein of very sophisticated 70s design (and in particular product and technology design) that I'm getting into - forget the vomit coloured flower prints and hand drawn owls of the period and think instead of Stanley Kubrick's 2001 (yeah, I know technically it's '68) interiors and the tech in Saul Bass' Phase IV.

I'll leave you with a few image mosaics - most (if not all) of the [Black:Clad] series, and some inspiration I'm mining for the future.

 


PS My tumblr is still almost entirely monochome. I'm not sure if this will change as I'm still enjoying posting to it. My Instagram is pretty polychrome though!

7 comments:

  1. Cool - that sounds interesting. Sometimes a bit of vibrant colour is good, but it does seem to need a more "clean" painting style which I find hard to do.

    Is Phase IV the one with the ants? Anyway, happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Toby about brighter painting being more challenging sometimes. I think it's got a lot to do with the density of the pigemnts in darker paint being better so they cover more easily. Yes! Phase IV has ALL the ants. It's a slow-burner to be sure but there is some beautiful art direction in it. Panos Cosmatos mined it deeply when he made 'Beyond the Black Rainbow'.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to see 'Beyond the Black Rainbow' now. I liked Phase IV a lot. It gets a good mention in Stephen King's Dance Macabre. Anyway, I've bought a bit robot from Wolsung and am having a hell of a job painting it red. All I can think of is building up lots of thin layers.

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful bleak miniatures. Those buildings are amazing, if I had seen them before I would have stolen your ideas for the Outgard setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexander! I do love the Outgard project - very inspiring stuff.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic work. It is good to know that 2017 at least has more of your creativity to offer.

    ReplyDelete