Monday, 7 November 2016

Interview with Les Edwards

Richard Mckenna over at We Are the Mutants has just published a great interview with legendary artist Les Edwards.

Like many I encountered his work via his awesome contributions to the Games Workshop canon of classic images. It's a bit disappointing that his body of work for GW doesn't get any airtime in the interview as he created some stunning images for the company and gained a lot of fans as a well-deserved result. I thought I'd put up those images I could find which graced GW products including some White Dwarf covers. If I have missed any out, please shout in the comments.

I am lucky enough to own a copy of his monograph Blood & Iron which I highly recommend if you can find a copy at a reasonable price. In it there is a wonderful stage-by-stage series of photos an a commentary on his cover for Realm of Chaos; The Lost and the Damned (the last image in this post, sadly cropped to show only the book's front cover).

You can see Les' official site here.










Edit #1 - I had forgotten the Heroquest expansion Wizards of Morcar cover, which is by Les:


Edit #2 - this is the Ghoul piece reader The One has kindly pointed out was used by GW - he was on the cover of WD19. Weridly he seems to be flipped in some reproductions but I think this is the 'corrrect' orientation.

 




9 comments:

  1. Great interview. I've got Blood & Iron too and I agree that he did some great work for GW. I like his stuff though I sometimes found it a bit straightforward (though that's probably to do with the demands of publishers). However when I recently got Curious Warnings, I was surprised he did the beautifully atmospheric B&W paintings in it; they're completely different in style and far more subtle than what I'd see of his work before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, old Les is/was an awesome illustrator from my youth too. You forgot the creepy "wampire" entering the loft window & the crypt dude rising from a shaft in an egyptian setting.

    He's got soooo many great illustrations, it's easy to miss a few :)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ UH - yes, his BW stuff is quite striking. For me though I love his sci-fi paintings as he really captures rotting, rusty metal so well.

    Thanks The One - I know the ones you mean, but were they used on any GW products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the vampire one was used in a WFRP campaign. The other....I "think" it was, but I can't recall where. GW used pretty much all of his stuff from that time I reckon ;)

      Delete
    2. Hey The One -

      You're totally right about the Ghoul one - he was on the cover of WD19 (a bit before my time!). I've duly added him. Good spot!

      I know the vampire you mean and he's here:
      http://www.lesedwards.com/galleries/vintage/the-croglin-vampire/1090

      Not sure if he was actually used by GW/WD though. Les was in an Illuminations exposé in White Dwarf 105 where many pieces were featured, including the vampire.

      Delete
  4. I remember reading that Blood Angel vs Scavvies White Dwarf when I was at school! That's still very much my mental image of the space marines. I've got Les Edwards' Rawhead Rex comic somewhere, too. It was amazing (and incredibly gruesome)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Toby! I never knew there was a comic version of RRex and only associated it with the movie. I also had no idea it derives from a Clive Barker short story. I totally want to dig into this more - thanks so much for the tip!

      Delete
    2. No problem, happy to help! Rawhead Rex is from the Books of Blood, a set of brilliant horror stories. I first saw the comic when I was way too young and it really stuck in my mind, much like Alien. It's still brilliant.

      By the way your work is fantastic. I really like the blog!

      Delete
  5. eileen@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete