Saturday, 24 September 2016

Visions of Castlevania

I don't have a great knowledge of Japanese artists so I'm still discovering the luminaries. I'm blown away by the work of Ayami Kojima, especially her paintings for the Caslevania franchise. I love her beautiful re-imagination of Western gothic tradition filtered though the (female) Japanese lens. Her male protagonists are, to our occidental eyes, etherial genderqueer beings - a fitting interpretation I feel of creatures that essentially a morbid evolution of the human.

No doubt they may have some insidious influence over my current vampiric miniatures project.




2 comments:

  1. You might also enjoy the work of Thores Shibamoto for Trinity Blood:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7w8rgm6WhA

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Gavroche - thanks for the linkage! That stuff is cool but a little too whimsical for my liking. Very nice though.

    ReplyDelete