Friday, 10 October 2014

The Great Martian War

The Great Martian War is a forthcoming pseudo-documentary by The History Channel detailing the events of a fictional Martian invasion a la War of the Worlds. Questions of veracity and taste aside, the effects in the trailer actually look pretty darn good, with footage either aged to seem early 20th century, or with CGI Martians composited into historical footage (it's so good, it's hard to tell which approach is used). I actually really like their interpretation of the biology and technology of the extraterrestrials. Their walkers seem suitably gawky with a pleasing mix of mechanical and biological elements.

The Ladytron-esque chiptunes soundtrack on this trailer, by Goldchimes, is pretty ace too.


2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to look this up when I'm home. Thanks for pointing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It aired a year ago, in the UK (and Canada I believe) at least. I watched it just the other day, so it's fresh on my mind at the moment. It's not too bad at all - great setting for wargaming! All Quiet on the Martian Front took a similar approach

    ReplyDelete