Saturday, 9 August 2014

Back to The Smoke

Here are some snaps of bits of London I have been to over the past couple of months...



The Olympic park is a rather awesome development. I had just left the city by the time the London Olympics kicked-off, so never saw it 'in action'. Now the stadia are open to the public they tend to dwarf the reduced crowds. The elegantly landscaped park has a slightly Ballardian quality. If feels somehow over-designed next to the more higgledy piggledy spaces of the old city.


This is a view up one of the waterways on the South Bank, near to Tower Bridge. These buildings were derelict right up until the 90s and the flats now cost in excess of £400k. Good evidence for their previous state can be found in films like Jubilee by Derek Jarman and Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. Both directors shot in the disused, decaying waterfront of the 80s. I think I prefer it that way.



I went to the London ComiCon last month, and had to escape after less than an hour due to my brain overloading. I discovered that Brompton Cemetery is right next to Earl's Court and had a wander through the Victorian burial ground. I realised I had seen the long, colonnaded walk in various films, including the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie. The place has an amazing collection of 19th century funerary architecture.


I've been reading a bit about Chinese migration to UK cities so I visited the London Chinatown. I was really fascinated by the fusion of Asian design with the Victorian and Georgian architecture of the neighborhood. I particularly wanted to wander down the back alleys, where the application of design is far less considered. There were some wonderful little Victorian barred windows and bricked up alcoves in the surfaces, while the Chinese influence was far less bombastic.


This is the Paolozzi bronze of Newton outside the British Library. He is probably the best bit of the campus, which I otherwise don't care for much.

I usually do edits in Photoshop, but used Picasa this time as it's just quicker. The 'Holga' filter is a one-button click and produces OK results I think. Alas there still appears to be no control over the watermark text settings, hence the rather clunky results here.

2 comments:

  1. phiq - I don't:
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/aug/07/london-property-price-boom-slowing-savills

    ReplyDelete