Monday, 4 November 2013

Day of the Dead-ator!

Long-time readers will know of my love for Day of the Dead makeup. So it was with great gusto that I prepared for a Dias de los Muertos party this weekend just gone at Nottingham's excellent Contemporary gallery.

However, I subscribe to Marty Neumeier's motto that when everyone zigs, you zag. With all the city's arty types painting their face my humble efforts would likely go unnoticed. But after a bit of a think and a cry of 'Get to the chopper!' I decided to tart up an old Predator mask I had lying around.

I am pretty pleased with the result. It's really nothing special - just white acrylic paint over a black base, with a coat of gloss varnish sprayed over the top. The design was first sketched in white pencil then hand-painted. Up close you can still see the brushstrokes, which I quite like as it retains an honesty about the manufacturing process.

Remember; if it bleeds, we can kill it!


5 comments:

  1. Looks great. But can you see properly through the eye slits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work! It's gems like this that make me send people here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both!

    @ phiq, yes, there are holes to see through, although it's not a great view. I find a few drinks help though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! and I mean both the work on the mask and the over all image presented.

    ReplyDelete