Saturday, 29 June 2013

The Great Gatsby branding

Baz Luhrmann's version of The Great Gatsby seems to have got middling reviews, but for my part I think its his best effort since the seminal Romeo + Juliet. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with his films as I adore his production design and branding, but don't get on with their unrelenting theatricality. The latter is reigned-in for Gatsby, so its a happier combination for me.

I was struck by the branding as soon as the film's posters emerged. However, it wasn't until this week just gone that I got to actually see the film. A quick google thereafter led me to Like Minded Studio's Behance page detailing their excellent work on the project. Below is a small selection of the images they have uploaded, but I implore you to click through and take a look at the whole set.

Their exploration of the deco style is reassuringly comprehensive and some of what I assume are early proposals are wonderful. The rectilinear gilded architectural detail which was eventually chosen is very apt and in the film's titles it is broken down and used playfully by the motion graphics team.




1 comment: