Friday, 25 January 2013

Superman Lives!

This was the title of the ill-fated Tim Burton/Nicholas Cage superhero movie. I remember hearing rumors about its production in the late 90s but my fleeting interest died as the project faded away. I am not a big fan of the superhero genre, but I do like Burton's work, so over the years I've occasionally wondered 'what if?' It seems Jon Schnepp is slightly more obsessed than I am and he's begun a Kickstarter to fund a serious-sounding documentary about the failed production.

Watching it I suddenly start to realise just how bonkers the film would have been. Rainbow Superman costumes, the Brainiac as a villain, polar bears... you name it. Now I am motivated to find out a lot more about the movie.

What's really inspiring is that Schnepp wants to actually make sections of the film if he reaches his stretch goals. For me this is the most fascinating aspect of the project. Now that very sophisticated production technology is affordable people can actually start to recreate out-of-place versions of the things that never were.


2 comments:

  1. oh my gods... this would have been insane~! I never knew about this until now... thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I was wondering when someone would do something like this for this never-made film. I remember when the whole thing seemed like an impending reality, and then it just vanished. Great to see such a trove of designs for the film that never was.

    And that Brainiac skull ship.... hmm.... ideas....

    ReplyDelete