Sunday, 15 January 2012

threeA cosplay

If the name Ashley Wood is not one that you recognise, then shame on you! The Australian artist has carved out his niche as one of the world's most sought-after creatives in the field of comic and concept art. He is perhaps most famous for his depictions of clunky-but-believable robots and their scantily-clad female companions in his trademark loose, impressionistic, impasto style.

Mr Wood teamed up with a Hong Kong production house in 2008 to launch threeA - a brand of luxury action figures. These creations are at the cutting edge of the trend of high-end toys for adult collectors. Many are very "Weird War II" in feel and have a wonderfully ragged look. My favourite is the threeA Barguest de Plume. And because I'm me I decided to put together an outfit based on the figure.

I bagged a French WWII gas mask, pouches and fatigues from a military fair and combined these with a tube and a sallet-style helmet I just happened to have hanging around (if you ever get to visit my abode you'll see how plausible this is). I also brought my newly repainted Mauser pistol with me. I joined forces with my esteemed photographer-friend Tom Medwell and took a trip to Epping Forest to brave the midges (and scare the locals) for a shoot one afternoon.

You can see the results below. Tom got some wonderful images and I love the slight vignetting and the desaturated tone. Thanks Tom!




7 comments:

  1. What a fun person you are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent ! the photography is very good, especially the bottom pic , looks like a death korp gone awol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, is there any look you can't pull off?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the God-Emperor, you must have been freezing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Fulgrim - I am ashamed to say this shoot was done some months ago, but I have only just got around to posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could have fooled us into thinking you were just well hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That French mask is fantastic. It really sets the whole thing off.

    ReplyDelete