Monday, 16 January 2012

Mantic Elves

Following my last mini post I thought I'd show you some Mantic elves I painted using the techniques I was honing on my Marauders.

These fellows were very quick and satisfying to paint. I began with a white undercoat, then carefully applied Citadel Badab Black wash to the recesses. This gives you a black-lined look. I then washed Winsor & Newton inks over this. There was very little other work. I did wipe off some of the W&N from the uppermost areas when it was dry, which one is able to do by virtue of it not being permanent.

I was really keen to keep the colour schemes simple. I think they work well, and I like the way the basing on the uppermost chap matches his accessories.

I enjoyed playing with the bases a bit, giving them metallic rims and then adding glitter and Swarovski stones. This gives them an Old Skool dungeon-crawl feel!


6 comments:

  1. The whacky color schemes remind me of old cartoons like He-man and the Masters of the Universe or Blackstar. Man, I used to love those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These and some of the last miniatures have a really old-school feel to them: I think it's the black-lining and the bright tones but they really remind me of some of Orks by either JB or Dale Hurst from the early 90s. They're really interesting, it's not the kind of style that you see often. They're not my cup of tea (for my own minis), but I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you're right Fulgrim. They are very much inspired by those early minis. Black lining was popular back-in-the-day! I forgot to mention - if you don't use the black line technique, the W&N inks don't give enough contrast to model the forms. The GW inks are better at that, but they are not as bright and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blacklining hint regarding W&N inks! Btw, what prop are you using when you photoshoot your minis, TamTam? I like the reflection effect and the black backdrop, they give your minis nice stately feel while not being too over the top...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - thanks izeColt. I sit the minis on something which I _think_ is called Chrmomolux. Its a stiff, high gloss, high colour paper often used in product photography. I only put it on the 'floor' though, and not on the back or sides as it reflects so much. You can see it has a slight ruby hint when lit though. Shooting against black is much more difficult than white as you need to get lots of light on the mini to show the details, while stopping light falling on the background so it remains 'pure' black.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, thanks for the info! Either black or white backdrop, you always end up having problems with the lights...

    ReplyDelete