Tuesday, 15 November 2011

=][=MVNDA Gropius portrait

Last night I finished the portrait for Gropius, one of the characters in the Leviathan Cycle of my =][=MVNDA project. I was pretty pleased with him so thought I'd post the image before I manipulate it.

He was drawn in my Moleskine sketchbook, hence the yellow cast to the paper. I tried to use Winsor & Newton inks to colour him at first, but was swiftly reminded how badly they sit on the paper in Moleskines. The pigment leeches into the paper and blotches horribly. The blue is the result of this aborted experiment. I instead turned to my newly beloved watercolour pencils (Derwent Inktense). They seem to work better as they require less fluid and so don't penetrate the surface quite as much. This was also my first use of a black pen for some time (a Steadtler 0.05mm liner). I usually use a brown Pilot but now I'm using colour more black seems more satisfying. The white is from a wonderful Uni-Ball Signo.

I hope to post the composited card soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment