Wednesday, 5 October 2011

New miniatures

I have been experimenting on a couple of creative fronts recently and in this post I want to show you some new minis (and, indirectly The BoX).

The dwarfs are Mantic  models painted with Army Painter products. I used their red spray, strong tone (ie medium) Quickshade dip and then Anti Shine matte varnish. Neither the dwarfs of the chap below were given any shading apart from the Quickshade. I must say I was most impressed with the results. The spray gave great coverage, the Quickshade really does what it says on the tin, and the Anti Shine is equal to Testors' Dullcote spray. I dipped the minis (rather than brushing on the Quickshade) but I am not sure this was wise. You can see on the leader that the tiny gap between the wings on his helmet is clogged with the stuff, as I failed to blow out the area once the little fellow came out of the dip.

The last photo is of a very old mini whose heritage, I must confess, has been lost in the mists of time. He was actually my first try with Quickshade.

In the case of both sets of minis I was surprised at the effect of adding the static grass. It "lifted" the models immensely and suddenly gave them vibrancy. In the case of the dwarfs, this is because the green grass contrasts nicely with the red of their uniforms.

The minis where shot with the aid of a new Heath-Robinson contraption of my own devising. I have dubbed it The BoX and I'll tell you all about it soon.




1 comment:

  1. These are great and I can't wait to hear more about "the Box"...

    ReplyDelete