Tuesday, 4 October 2011

The Eldar are coming!

Ironically the work I do for the mini industry leaves me with little time to paint the  gribblies. I have been inspired of late though and am pressing on with a couple of projects, my Eldar army amongst them. You can see shots of my scouts and guardians below.

The Eldar have always been my favourite race from the 40K universe but it was only recently that I have started to collect them as an army.  This was prompted when I picked up some old-skool Rogue Trader-era guardians from ebay. I love all incarnations of the space elves and I reasoned that it would be nice to mix different generations of the minis in one force. I adore the diversity of the race, which ranges from the faded glory of the Craftworlds to piratical Corsairs to feral Exodites to Commedia del Arte Harlequins (and, of course, the debased Dark Eldar).

I am also drawn to their slender organic-Egyptianising design. They are one of the most "feminine" looking races in 40K. I always find the renderings strangely believable which is the hallmark of great design. One of my favourite GW minis is the Epic Phantom Titan, which is a marvel of perfect proportions.

I'll blog more in the future about the army, it's background and my methods of painting.




6 comments:

  1. Are you using High Elf and Wood Elf bits there for the Rangers? They look good. And that must be an old EPIC Avatar!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey phiq. Yes, well spotted with the bits. I am indeed mixing in fantasy plastics to make the Rangers. Regarding the Avatar, that's an EPIC FAIL on your part ;-) He's actually the first 40K version GW produced. He only stands a bit taller than the average mini, unlike today's versions. More to come...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, love that old Avatar figure, and great to see all those ye olde Rogue Trader era figs... damn, I'm showing my age now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i am detecting a shift or progression in style - still as neat but more organic and strangely like the photo's in the last blog .......

    ReplyDelete
  5. a ahh - st dalfour jamme .... scrummy ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol. The mighty Eldar Avatar: Hobbit of Khaine.

    ReplyDelete