Monday, 25 July 2011

Volomir's High Elf Sea Guard stage-by-stage

I came across Volomir's excellent stage-by-stage article on how he painted his Sea Guard. It was of particular interest as he uses an airbrush extensively during the process, and talks at length about how the tool is incorporated into his work flow. I am rather enamored by airbrush use in general, so it was fascinating to see how Volomir works. I was surprised to see how little masking he did, and how quickly he achieved stunning results on metals with the thing.

Check out some of his WIP shots below.




4 comments:

  1. Amazing stuff. Airbrushing is hard enough on big plastic kits.. But remarkable on a 30mm miniature. And the results are always so distinct from brushwork... Now I miss my compressor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the most horrifyingly laborious process I've ever seen - especially for painting an army. The endless cleaning and changing of colours, the masking ... as someone who used to use an airbrush back in art college, the very thought fills me with horror. I dragged it out once to paint some camouflage stripes on some Tide of Iron tanks, but I can't imagine going through all this hassle for 30mm miniature painting. The results are very impressive of course, but I can't see how you would save any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with the designs. perfectly innovative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Universal Head - I know what you mean but I think having a permanent airbrush setup would speed things up a great deal. Much of the reason I don't airbrush very often is because my kit is packed away and getting it out is such a faf. Once he gets his figures lined up, I bet Volomir can tear through them pretty swiftly.

    ReplyDelete