Saturday, 2 July 2011

Old work: JUNK concepts

Mini fans may remember that Grindhouse Games produced a short run of figures for their JUNK series. These robots inhabited a punky, dysptopian future USA where robots fought robots, humans and just about everything else.

Below are two concepts I did for the proposed Whitepaste and Stencil bots. We were drawing on classic robot archetypes, punk sensibilities, WWII technology and, most importantly for me, graffiti culture. The names are derived from graffiti techniques and I thought it would be fun to incorporate the kind of graffiti they represent in their paint schemes. I think there's also a bit of Hayao Miazaki in there too.

In January this year Grindhouse announced that they would no longer continue to produce the line and were looking to sell the miniature moulds to another company. I really hope JUNK reappears as it was a fun project to work on.


No comments:

Post a Comment