Friday, 20 May 2011

Verulamium

I still live and work relatively close to my alma mater, and occasionally enjoy exercising my right as an alumnus to use the amazing libraries. On my last trip I came across a book profiling the Roman amphitheaters in Britain. It had an entry on the one at Verulamium, close to where I went to school. It ran as follows:

The Verulamium theatre was discovered and first excavated in 1847 when a farmer notified the antiquary R. Grove-Lowe of the presence of curvilinear walls in his field. Though well conducted for its time the excavation did not establish a chronological sequence for the building. Virtually total excavation was carried out in 1933-34 by Kathleen Kenyon after which the site was consolidated as a publicly accessible monument. An unusual book by Anthony Lowther attempted to interpret the theatre through imaginary vignettes of episodes in its history. 

“The Roman Amphitheatre in Britain” by Tony Wilmott

Alas I can't find my photos of the site and ruins, so here are some from the interwebs. I have not been able to find any trace of the Lowther book referred to.







Top image source


Images 2 and 3 source


Bottom image source

No comments:

Post a Comment