Thursday, 18 November 2010

New work: JUNK logo and development

As most fans of Grindhouse Games know they are developing a red-hot new product under the name of JUNK. A while ago Jim at Grindhouse came to me and said he needed a logo. And fast. I got cracking and you can see my progress below.

The stages I outline are pretty standard for any logo job and I find myself going through most on all such commissions. The only real difference here is that Jim needed a bold vector logo. As readers may know, my "trademark" is the full colour photo-realistic thing which usually follows the last stage you see here. I'll talk more about those full-blown logos in future.

Stage 1 - Before I begin I try to elicit as much as I can about the product the logo is for and the world it is set in. Fortunately clients in the game industry tend to be pretty visually articulate and so I am usually supplied with lots of background info. I then move to this first stage which is pure brainstorm. This stage is, more often than not, executed in pencil but in this instance I knew a relatively simple vector logo was required so working in Illustrator was appropriate.


Stage 2 - This is really brainstorm again, but I am working with the feedback received from the first batch. The response was that the logo needed to be more "punk" and graffiti related, hence these doodles are leaning more in that direction.


Stage 3 - Jim and his team picked one of the concepts to run with and I then produced various options exploring the possibilities it allowed.


Stage 4 - As mentioned above, my clients are usually pretty visually aware and capable. The image here was actually one Jim sent me after he'd played around with the option he liked best. He was adamant this was the final version (which is a good thing - indecisive clients can be challenging!) and all I had to do was neaten it up.


Stage 5 - This is the final version showing various colourways. A bit more work has gone into this than meets the eye. I like my final Illustrator versions to be nice and neat. I like them to contain simple bezier shapes with as few brushes as possible to maximize their compatibility. Anyone who has worked with Adobe Illustrator will know that creating all the knockout groups and compound shapes which allow a design to be dropped on any background can be a heap of work.

I am pretty pleased with the final design and Jim and his team have done an excellent job of incorporating it into the JUNK website and promo materials.

You can find out more about this awesome robot-related product that is JUNK here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment