Tuesday, 5 October 2010

In the Company of Death

An email popped into my inbox late last week from my good friend and Golden Demon Slayer Sword winning Jakob Nielsen (website here). It showed a box with the words "GD Project JRN" on it. Also pasted onto the sides were crosses of red tape and Jakob invited me to guess the model. I guessed right and he rewarded me with some preview shots before he and his masterpiece travelled to the UK for Games Day.

What more can I say? Jakob is the worthy winner of countless trophies, Golden Demons and three (I think - I loose count) Slayer Swords. He has been at the forefront of miniature painting for over a decade and his talent shows no sign of abating. His pieces demonstrate a great understanding of pose, proportion, hue and shade. He is capable of the most delicate detailing, but his models never suffer from being cluttered by it. I have seen many of his minis in the flesh (and am very fortunate to own one) and I can honestly tell you they are even more stunning when you see them in 3D.

Unfortunately this little puppy did not come away with any accolades at the UK Games Day, but, as Jakob points out, his home is crammed with Golden Demons anyway so he is content.




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. What an excellent model! A lot of modelers make the mistake of over-detailing to the point of turning a striking figure into a pile of indiscriminate detail, but with this model, more is revealed the closer you look at it. It's also refreshing to see a someone with a sense of composition and form, as more than a few convertors seem to forget that there's a human body under the armor, and that weight and posture need to be considered when posing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi #2501. I agree with your theory RE detailing. Some folk do an amazing job, but just apply too much. Sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete