Thursday, 23 September 2010

Genestealer cult

Life's a bummer when you get impregnated by aliens. In the 41st millennium a genestealer doesn't have to do anything more nasty than give you a "kiss" and you (or rather your kids) are screwed. You find your firstborn is a terrifying hybrid of man and alien. From there things get a bit better over the generations as the alien characteristics are bred out and you think you're doing OK. Then a whole swarm of the buggers turn up in the form of the Tyranid master race. They utterly ravage your world, ingesting all forms of organic life and leaving it a bare rock. Bummer, as I said. We should get some guys to dress in armour and fight these things. Maybe we could call them the Ordo Xenos or something?

If you know your GW product history, you'll be aware that the genestealers weren't initially part of the Tyranid race. They were a minor entry in the Rogue Trader creature list who were developed as the Alien-inspired baddies in Space Hulk. It was only later they were described as the insidious vanguard that preps worlds for 'Nid invasions. Before this was revealed (and, don't get me wrong, it's pretty cool) they were developed as a cult-force for Warhammer 40,000. They got plush cars to drive about in, had lots of wacky followers like Beastmen and sometimes aligned with Chaos to form a cra-zy demon-worshipping-alien sect (clearly they don't discriminate).

I wanted some of these cheeky little beggars but felt they had to be themed a bit more. The utterly brilliant Poltergeist II (no, really, check it out with it's Giger-designed beasties) provided the answer. In the movie the terrifying Julian Beck plays a cadaverous preacher who led his sect into the American dustbowl-wilderness and ultimately to their deaths. My little xenomorphs are a kind of cyberpunk-Gothic-Victorian lot who are heading West to sit it out until the big-ass-bio-construct ships arrive to teach their persecutors a lesson they'll never forget.

They're heeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Love it!! I just turned out some hybrids for my cult force in my recent Apocalypse game. Sadly my old slanneshi-stealer limo went away looong ago so I had to come up with something new.

    Yours look fantastic, and I love your limo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks love! Ah, the oldies were goldies when it came to bonkers GW armies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vintage models and their limo! I'm turning out smaller themed groups more and more these days for my Dark Heresy group, and I may have to go looking for some Genestealer hybrids myself.

    ReplyDelete