Wednesday, 25 August 2010

New work: Werewolf

Werewolf is a social party game where players use cunning and subterfuge to outwit their opponents. The game emerged from Russia and is thought to have been created by Dimma Davidoff. It is played across the world and is sometimes known as Mafia. Players are randomly selected to take the role of either a werewolf, villager or magician. The cards below are intended to be used for this random selection.
The Wikipedia article on the game can be found here, and a good article listing many variants here. You can download my version of the Werewolf rules here and click here to download a print-able PDF of the cards below.
This was the game I took the The House of Fairytales event at the Vintage at Goodwood festival. I didn't really know what the deal was in terms of audience and it transpired the game was too complex for the children, and most of the adults were not really in the mood to engage in a game that lasted more than ten minutes. It makes a great late-night party game though so I intend to rope in my fellow Ancient Greeks at this weekend's reenactment fair.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic game!! I love love love this game and miss playing it. Since moving out to GA I've not been able to find enough people willing to play it at one time. It really does take at least 9 people to play a decent game. It was very popular in my old circle and we had regular games of a dozen or more folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning work - love those card designs. Printed on a parchment texture and weathered as you have them shown in the image, they look especially amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link to the printable pdf is dead, which is a real shame. These are definitely the nicest cards I've seen for free. Any way that you can get it live again? I would love to print this set off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anonymous,

    Just for you I've popped them on Dropbox so clickerty-click away!

    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4133152/Misc/werewolf%20cards%20v1.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both the printable PDF link and the dropbox link are dead, and I really love these cards... Is there a way for you to put them up again? Or send me a link where I can buy them? I can't find this set anywhere else and it's definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. Sorry - the files must have been moved at some point. You can download a PDF of the cards here: bit.ly/1daOiKF

    ReplyDelete