Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Salute 2010 - Part III - swag!

In my last post about Salute 2010 I am going to show off my swag. Two of the great things about the event are the stalls stocking second-hand games, and the bring & buy. With the rise of ebay it's unusual to get bargains anymore as it is easy for folk to look up the going price for any item. I was gobsmacked, then, when I saw the slimmer boxes shown below going for £2 each (they normally go for a lot more).

"Hmm", I thought to myself. "If I take them all, with Rogue Trooper, it amounts to £24, so I'll ask for a discount and offer £20."
"I'll do you the lot for £20" proffered the man as he saw me piling the things up.
"Done", I said, wondering if he could also read my thoughts about needing to visit the bathroom.

The GW stuff dates from the late 80s. This was the start of one of the company's periods of unbridled creativity which saw them publish innovative, high-quality products. They raised the bar for the board, tabletop and roleplaying games in terms of production and secured Workshop's position as a leader in the field. The boxes I bought are great examples of this - the Ian Miller and John Blanche covers of Terror of the Lichemaster and The Tragedy of McDeath respectively are wonderful. Rogue Trooper was a Workshop title using the 2000AD IP and it looks pretty awesome. Dracula was an impulse purchase from the bring & buy stand. It was £5, still shrink wrapped and I have always loved the publicity design for the movie so it was a bargain. It's an interactive post-dinner-party game which comes with blood capsules and fangs!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Oh Good Lord!! The floor plans alone are worth a Princeling's ransom! That's an incredible hoard for 20 quid. Well done! We've used the Dungeon Floor Plans, Halls of Horror and Rooms for getting on for 20 years now - they're flippin' awesome. The Halls of Horror cut out characters are fun - dead chap in bath filled with blood always brings out a smile in a Call of Cthulhu adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sidney. Glad you are a fan - these boxed sets are the bomb! There's something about the hand-made quality which makes them more endearing than all the Photoshopped stuff you see around today.

    Big fan of your blog BTW and I think I spotted your table at Salute.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a trip down memory lane ! Thanks ToE.

    The Dracula boxed set is new to me but I recognise all the others with fond affection.

    Sigmar
    my WFB Gallery

    ReplyDelete