Saturday, 13 February 2010

Old work - Luftwaffe Munny

Like all children I had my own set of particular obsessions. Pyromania was a less healthy one, but dinosaurs were at the more acceptable end. I had a large collection of plastic dinosaurs, some of which I liked more than others. Commonly those that were less favored had poorer sculpting and rotten paint jobs. I think these defects prompted me to feed them to their more beautiful cousins. On this basis I should probably never be put in charge of any group of people (or dinosaurs) in a survival situation.

Anyway, the point is that as a child being able to distinguish poor paint schemes or sculpting in toys. I often look at toys in shops today to see what the graphic design and packaging trends are, and I sometimes decry these same failings. It seems I am not alone in this and the result is a burgeoning culture of adult modellers who modify toys to improve them or create entirely new figures. The resulting conversions are known as "customs". There are even companies who produce intentionally unfinished toys for folk to paint themselves.

A popular blank custom is Munny by Kidrobot. I bought this little fellow for use in a very strange photoshoot wherein he appeared in his unpainted white state. I deliberated for a long time about what colours I should colour him and eventually settled on this scheme. I like the way the pattern has a cultural resonance, rather than just being a nice paint job.

I used an airbrush with acrylics for the all the paintwork and I am pleased with the way the subtle orange shading worked on the yellow arms. This was achieved by spraying the orange hue from underneath once the yellow basecoat had been applied. I took the decals from an old model kit. Once they had been applied I sprayed him entirely in Testors Dullcote. This is the most awesome matte varnish ever. It does an excellent job of unifying the slight variations in glossiness between different colours of paint and makes the decals less glossy. I shot him with my trusty old Nikon D100 using my lovely Bowens lights. I enjoyed dressing the little set used in the black-and-white photo.





1 comment:

  1. I think we can accurately describe this item as thirteen kinds of awesome :)

    ReplyDelete