Saturday, 9 January 2010

Infographics

When I started my new job at the NHS I was asked to complete a report on a Grade 1 Listed building. I made a real effort with the document and included lots of 3D renders and exploded diagrams. I was afraid my Director would say, "It's nice, but you haven't thought about x, y and z". When I gave it to him he looked at it for a while in silence, then asked, "How did you do this?" I explained I had used graphics software I had at home.
"How much would it cost to buy a computer to do this here?"
"About £2k, with the software."
"Fine - do it."
So now I get to tinker with graphics for my Trust, which is one of my favorite parts of my job.

Infographics are wonderful. They are a refreshing form of graphic design which prioratises the communications of specific, complex information over aesthetics, but a good infographic looks beautiful. I'll no doubt blog about some of my favourite designers in the field, but I leave you with a WIP version of one of my newer pieces for my Trust.

Also check out: www.coolinfographics.com


1 comment:

  1. It is sad that the info contained in such wonderful graphics is often such a load of management bollocs talk.....

    ReplyDelete