Wednesday, 16 December 2009

Dieselpunk

I am not a big fan of sub-cultures whose cool-ness derives solely from their obscurity, but Dieselpunk is genuinely awesome. I was fortunate enough to be asked to pen a little description of it for The Chap magazine's Steampunk issue a while back and this kind of punk is still "where my head is at". I don't want to repeat the article here, but I'll just paraphrase by saying Dieselpunk is Steampunk but set in the 20s, 30s or 40s. Think Buck Rogers, Sky Captain or The Rocketeer. Admittedly these films are not known for their challenging plots or great acting, but you have to admit they look great. In my mind (and I realise I might be alone here) Dieselpunk melds with Weird War II which is a topic I'll no doubt come into in the fullness of time.

Steampunk is delightful and I appreciate its ingenuity and charm, but it's a bit too frilley for me. Dieselpunk is more rugged, hard-edged and militarised by comparison. That said, the Maker culture that Steampunk hooks into is a very refreshing antidote to today's throw-away mass-produced economy.

On that note, I am going to leave you with a lovely rendering of one of Kow Yokoyama's amazing creations.

1 comment:

  1. I think Dieselpunk best describes the style of miniature sculpting I want to take D-Forge next year.I just wish I was better at getting my ideas conceptually on to paper in the form of designs.

    Ive always been a big fan of Kow's work with his MAK stuff.

    ReplyDelete