Saturday, 19 December 2009

Dance of Death

I have just completed a new logo. It's all a bit ninja-style and I can't really talk about it at the moment, but I can blather on about logos in general.

For the last two years logos have been the aspect of my work that I have pushed most. This seems to be bearing fruit as people now come to me for logos based on recommendations. I love doing them for the following reasons;

They involve typography, which I adore. The choice of type has an extraordinary affect on what you are saying, and never more so than in a logo. I also love all the fussy aspects of typography, like adjusting the tracking, kerning pairs and leading to make it just-so. With logos I often break the text to shapes in Illustrator so I can tweak them to within an inch of their lives.

Logos, in general, must tell you something about the entity they represent. In the case of game logos, they have to tell the viewer about the world in which the game is set. They are therefore a microcosm or fractal of the fictional universe. This is visual poetry to me - a concise and abbreviated form of the larger whole.

I have always been a details person and this is also true of my design work. I would prefer to lavish attention on one single, small thing to make it exquisite rather than generate a great number of things less well. A large quantity of things can itself be impressive, but it's difficult for me to sacrifice details so I am more comfortable with individual things.

There's plenty more where this logo came from so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment